Vanilla Sheet Cake Recipe
This vanilla sheet cake recipe is THE birthday cake in my house. It’s tender, light and fluffy, but rich in flavor.
Top this stellar sheet cake with one of my favorite buttercreams:
My recipe posts are short and sweet, because I know what you’re after. We can chat later, it’s time to bake!
Vanilla Sheet Cake
Tender vanilla sheet cake with
Write a review
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (extra cake flour or AP flour for dusting the pan)
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 5 oz unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 large egg whites
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Spray or grease a 9" x 13" pan and flour it.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cake flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, melted butter, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk in the buttermilk once the other ingredients have been combined, so that it doesn’t cause the melted butter to clump.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, (or in a large bowl using an electric hand mixer or an old fashioned hand whisk and bowl), whisk the egg whites on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, 5-7 minutes.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Switch to a rubber spatula and gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter in three batches. Stir the first batch into the batter to loosen it up, but fold more delicately with the second and third batches. Take care not to deflate the egg whites or over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake, rotating the pans’ positions halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean or with a few crumbs clinging to it, 15-18 minutes.
- Transfer the cakes to a rack to cool in the pan for about 30 minutes. Turn the cakes out onto a flat surface, like plates or a clean countertop. Let the cakes cool completely before frosting, filling, or storing.
Adapted from Erin Bakes Cake
Adapted from Erin Bakes Cake
Erin Bakes http://erinbakes.com/
online cake delivery in mumbai says
The idea of vanilla sheet cake is really heart melting. The look is just adorable and i am sure taste would be delicious. I would love to make this on my special occasion. Thanks for sharing.
That cake looks mouthwatering because Vanilla is my favorite recipe.
I just tried this for my mothers birthday and it worked very well! I replaced one of the yolks with a tablespoon of oil, added an extra egg white, and 2 tbsp of flour. I added rose water to the batter and then filled the cake with honeycomb candy, rose petal jam and applesauce, and chocolate ganache. I used chocolate smb and fondant roses for garnish.
I just made this for my mothers birthday and it worked very well! I replaced one of the yolks with a tablespoon of oil, added an extra egg white, and 2 tbsp of flour to accommodate for added rose water. I filled the cake with honeycomb candy, a mixture of rose petal jam and applesauce, and chocolate ganache. I used chocolate swiss meringue buttercream and fondant roses for garnish.
Erin Gardner says
That sounds amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your variation. 🙂