Last Tuesday, August 1, I held the very first session of the Erin Bakes Cake Summer School livestream series on my Facebook page. I’m proud to share it was only kind of a disaster! I suppose anything that has this delicious gorgeousness as the final result can’t be consider a true disaster. Is there anything more magical than a chocolate peony? Visit my Facebook page if you want to take a peek. If you watched the livestream you saw the start of this cake, but not the finished cake. Luckily, the peony came together in a flash – like it always does – and saved the day. It’s truly a technique I suggest trying out if you decorate cakes frequently. Low time investment, big results.
Let’s recap my series of unfortunate events that morning:
- Cat puked in the living room shortly before going live.
- I broke a cake. (Which is why the final cake is shorter than the one in the promo shots.)
- My sink made a possessed growling noise throughout the livestream.
- The black/chocolate buttercream got too soft while I was making the peony and refused to cooperate when trying to do the striping technique.
- Livestream video connection cut out no less than 3 times. Last one literally as I was showing the final peony.
- My daughter’s orange juice bottle for her baby doll makes a special guest appearance on the floor behind me throughout the entire livestream.
In other words, it went as expected! Doing anything live is a gamble and takes a decent dose of courage. Working with food live is nothing short of madness. So let’s do it again! I’ll be back at it every Tuesday at 10AM EST through Sept. 5th, the day my book launches! I have since learned that I bit off more than I could chew this first round (pun intended). I’m just SO DARN EXCITED about everything in this book and I wanted to give it all to you all at once. Real talk: filling a cake, finishing it, and creating a chocolate garnish for it takes way longer than any reasonable person wants to sit through a livestream. If you made it to the end with me, congrats! We share the same crazy-cake-person gene.
Going forward I’ll be breaking off smaller chunks of info to share with you. Tomorrow I’ll be demo’ing how to make the cutest circus themed cake you ever did see. If you’re not a fan of the circus, this cake will work with whatever party animal you identify with most. Not a fan of fondant? Not to worry! Those critters are cookies. 🙂 While you wait for the circus to start, grab your copy of Erin Bakes Cake while it’s on pre-order here. Can’t wait to see you there!